Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Would you host a stranger for dinner???

In this week's Travel Section of the Sunday NY Times, there was an article called "Mangia, Mangia." It discusses the authors experiences with going to stranger's houses in Italy for dinner.

The idea is brilliant. The hosts register with an organzition called "Home Food." The consumer, also registers with the same organization - afterwhich they can select a region in Italy and then view available menus at different homes. What a great way to try the local food. Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of restaurants which offer local cuisine, but why not experience in someone's house?

This makes perfect sense to me. My husband and I often recall that the best meal on our last trip to Paris was in my friend Herve's apartment - and mind you, we can't say that we had a bad meal in Paris - but Herve's apartment added a local feel that we just wouldn't experience in any restaurant. If there was a "Home Food" organization in Paris (and there may be) I would strongly suggest Herve register.

Back to Italy... In the countryside, you not only get local food but what Matt Gross (the article's author) called "hyperlocal." Even the meat is local - which I'm guessing does not happen often in more urban settings. This must be a phenomenal experience. Now I need to think about a trip to Italy - just to try the "hyperlocal" cuisine!

Would you host a stranger for dinner???

No comments:

Post a Comment